Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Taoist way or "The Way's way"

In some instances, I believe we could learn alot of the Eastern philosophies on how to live. Especially since the West has never been too keen on Humility, which is a trait we could all do good to follow. I borrowed the Tao te ching by Lao Tzu from my friend, Jordan, and I have to say, I have been enjoying it alot. Sometimes it seems too mystical to become practical, but then again, maybe that's my western influence seeping in again. It takes the art of simplicity to a new level. I think I am so intrigued by it because it's so easy to default into a controlling mode. We are so bombarded by the idea that we must take control of our lives and manipulate situations and each other to get what we want, that we don't realize we are causing more chaos then peace. Much of what I read, I loved, but one in particular stood out. Chapter 11 of the Tao struck me as very important and powerful. It says this:
We join spokes together in a wheel,
but it is the center hole that makes the wagon move.
We shape clay into a pot,
but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want.
We hammer wood for a house,
but it is the inner space that makes it livable.
We work with being,
but the non-being is what we use.
This, I thought, was very inciteful. The essence of life is not what we see and use with our hands before us, but rather what we don't see that has the potential to unify us. Love, faith, selflessness, these things are pure in and of themselves. When we choose to occupy our hearts with such things, we find a sense of peace and harmony with the world. I think what I found most comforting about the Tao was it's desire to point out the importance of "non-action". In other words, allowing things to be as they are and choosing to work with nature rather than against it. This doesn't mean laziness. It merely means trusting that in all decisions you make, everything will fall into place, even if it wasn't your original plan. My one concern with the Tao is it's desire to be universal over individualistic. Not to say that it is completely impersonal, just that it focuses on the masses. When you follow the Tao, your life will effect the masses, which will in turn, effect you. So, the masses come first. Personally, I desire something more personal, something that is true because I have experienced it, not something that is hinged upon a universal idea. Unfortunately, as I am saying this, I forget what passage gave me this impression, and please if you've read the Tao and disaggree, let me know. Anyway, I still found it enlightening and comforting. I hope that I can practice many of it's truths in living. Selflessness, contentment, humility, and others are qualities that I know could make living this crazy life a little better.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Knight said...

What I'd like to know now is what is your impression of "The Tao of Pooh?"

7:05 PM  
Blogger Brent Hitman said...

While in some areas, I enjoyed the Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet, Overall, they weren't that great. Hoff, the author goes off on political tangents alot and you start to think your reading a propaganda piece at times. He also creates dialogue of his own with the characters of Winnie the Pooh. When he does this, I believe he misinterprets the character traits of these characters and sometimes, he doesn't even come close. He makes Eeyore out to be an asshole. That was most disapointing for me, since I find at times I relate most to Eeyore. Meloncholy, yes, asshole, never!!! When he used the original story to relate it to Taoism, that's what I enjoyed the best. While cute and pertinent in many places, The Tao te ching is much better!!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home